STATEN ISLAND, NY - The SUNY Poly baseball team (5-6) finally got to continue their season on Friday afternoon in a road game at the College of Staten Island (6-6). Unfortunately, the game did not go as planned for the Wildcats, who lost 12-7 in the nine-inning game.
The Wildcats sent starting pitcher Drew Scharra (Springville, N.Y.) to the mound in the first of three games in the New York City area. The Wildcats struggled early, allowing two runs on an error and a walked in run. The senior would settle down, shutting the Dolphins down in the second, third, and fourth inning. The Dolphins would explode for eight runs in the fifth to take a 10-0 lead, chasing Scharra and putting the game out of reach.
The Wildcats would put up a fight in the last two innings, scoring one in the eighth and six in the ninth, but it was too little, too late.
- Connor Manderson (New Hartford, N.Y.) had two hits for the Wildcats. He also had an RBI. His season batting average is now .295.
- Josh Rodriguez (North Syracuse, N.Y.) went 2-3 in the game. He has 10 hits on the year.
- Nick LaBella (Utica, N.Y.) had a team high two RBIs in the game on a single in the ninth inning. He is currently leading the Wildcats with 10 RBIs this season. LaBella also had the Wildcats lone stolen base in the game.
- Glen Glennerster had a game high three RBIs for the Dolphins. He went 1-3 with a walk and a run scored.
- Tom Musso was the winning pitcher in the game. He threw seven innings, allowing no runs and just four hits. He struck out seven batters.
The Wildcat's will take on St. Josephs of Brooklyn on Saturday. The double header is scheduled for a 2:00 PM start at Shore Road Park in Brooklyn, NY. The Wildcats and Bears all-time series is currently tied at 1-1.