MARCY, N.Y. - The SUNY Poly men's lacrosse team (6-0, 1-0 NEAC) hosted SUNY Delhi (2-6) on Saturday in a non-conference game. The Wildcats entered the game with the hopes remaining undefeated and matching the best win total in program history, and did just that. The final score of the game was 11-6.
The Wildcats got off to a bit of a slow start in the game and were down 3-1 at the end of the first quarter. The team would bounce back to outscore Delhi 4-1 in the second quarter to take a one goal lead. The Wildcat defense came alive in the second half, holding the Broncos to just two goals in the final two quarters while the Wildcat offense netted six goals to ultimately give the Wildcats the win.
With the game tied at five in the third quarter, the Wildcats poured on the offense scoring three goals in under a minute. All three of the goals started with wins at the faceoff X by Ryan Mead (Churchville, N.Y.). The first goal, at 3:37 in the third, was scored by Daniel Rivie (Ossining, N.Y.) off a dish by Edward Rosaschi (Highland Mills, N.Y.). The second goal was taken right off the faceoff win and to the house by Edward Rosaschi just 11 seconds later. The third was scooped up off a saved shot and netted by Austin Rio (Cicero, N.Y.) at the three minute mark. The goal was Rio's first career goal.
- Ryan Mead dominated in the face-off circle. The freshman won 17 of 19 face-offs and had a game high 11 groundballs. The 89% faceoff percentage is the highest of Mead's career and the 17 faceoff wins is the fifth highest single game total in Wildcat history.
- Edward Rosaschi had a dominant offensive game for the Wildcats. The sophomore had a game high six points on four goals and two assists. He is now tied for the team lead with 23 points. Rosaschi also had five groundballs in the game.
- Jared Laird (Ontario, N.Y.) earned his sixth win of the season in goal, tying Wildcat lacrosse single season wins record. Laird made seven saves on 13 shots bringing his season saves total to 62.
- Devin Roes (Lowville, N.Y.) continued to be a consistent offensive weapon for the Wildcats. Roes netted two goals on five shots and had an assist. His season point total is now 14.
- Daniel Rivie scored a pair of goals in the game. He also caused two turnovers and scooped up six groundballs in the game.
- Tyler Schmitz (Eden, N.Y.) and Charles Rosaschi (Highland Mills, N.Y.) rounded out the scoring for the Wildcats. Schmitz scored his first career goal in the first quarter. Rosaschi scored his goal at the close of the first half. He now is tied for the team lead with 23 points this season.
- Mackenzie Madore (Fonda, N.Y.) caused two of the Wildcats 11 caused turnovers.
- Austin Rio scored his first collegiate goal in the game. He also had a caused turnover and two groundballs.
- Jeremy Leary led the Broncos offensively. The senior had two goals and two assists.
- Delhi's Luke Anderson had two goals and an assist.
- Eric Morse made 16 saves for Delhi, but was tagged with the loss.
The Wildcats will hit the road for a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) matchup with the Hilbert Hawks on Wednesday, April 4th. The game is scheduled for a 4:00 PM start at Eden High School near Hilbert. The Wildcats are 1-5 all-time against the Hawks with their lone win coming in the 2016 season.