EDEN, NY - The SUNY Poly Wildcats (6-1, 1-1 NEAC) were defeated by Hilbert (3-4, 1-1 NEAC) on Wednesday in a low scoring North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) game. The 5-4 loss was their first of the season.
The Wildcats took a two-goal lead in the first quarter, on a pair of goals by the Rosaschi brothers. The offense would sputter in the second and third quarter where the Hawks defense posted zeros on the scoreboard. Hilbert scored two goals in the second to tie the game at the half, and scored two more unanswered goals to take a 4-2 lead into the fourth.
Trailing 5-2 with under 10 minutes to play in the game, it looked as if the Wildcats would make a comeback, but they could only manage two goals down the stretch, ultimately losing the game by the close score of 5-4.
- Daniel Rivie (Ossining, N.Y.) had a team high two goals and an assist for the Wildcats. The junior also had a team high three caused turnovers and four groundballs.
- Charles Rosaschi (Highland Mills, N.Y.) had two points on a goal and an assist. He also had three groundballs. His season points total is now a team best 25.
- Edward Rosaschi (Highland Mills, N.Y.) rounded out the scoring for the Wildcats. He scored a goal, picked up a team high seven groundballs, and had a caused turnover.
- Tyler Schmitz (Eden, N.Y.) had two caused turnovers and six groundballs. He has seven caused turnovers so far this season.
- Braxton Evans-Murphy (Auburn, N.Y.) also added two caused turnovers to his season total. He now has nine.
- Jared Laird (Ontario, N.Y.) was given his first loss of the season. The freshman made 11 saves on 16 shots faced. He is now 6-1 this season.
- Joshua Schindler had a team high two goals for Hilbert.
- Joseph Stevenson earned the win in goal. He made 14 saves.
- Hilbert's Tyler Balsavage had a game high four caused turnovers and a game high nine groundballs.
The Wildcats will return home on Saturday to host NEAC for Cobleskill State. The game is scheduled for a 1:00 PM start at SUNY Poly's Wildcat Field. The Wildcats are 5-1 all-time against the Fighting Tigers with the most recent win being a 15-10 win last season.