MARCY, N.Y. – The SUNY Poly men's volleyball team earned their third North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) win on Saturday, 3-1 over St. Elizabeth. The Wildcats hit .307 in the match. They have hit over .300 as a team in two straight matches. SUNY Poly's Max Szuba (Irondequoit, N.Y.) hit a career milestone in the match, surpassing 1000 kills.
Max Szuba recorded his 1,000th career kill early in the second set. The senior is just the second Wildcat in the history of the men's volleyball program to surpass 1,000 kills. He joins career kills record holder Ryan Meller atop the list. The all-time record for career kills is 1,329. Szuba ended the game with 1,015 kills after his outstanding 23 kill match.
- Max Szuba had a match high 23 kills on 37 swings to hit an outstanding .514 in the match. The 23 kills was just one shy of his career high of 24, a mark he hit on March 28th of 2017. Szuba also had two digs and a block assist in the match.
- Connor Schultz (Lancaster, N.Y.), Garrett Hassard (Oneonta, N.Y.), and Matthew Russo (Ronkonkoma, N.Y.) each had seven kills for the Wildcats. Schultz hit .556 with a block assist. Hassard hit .222 with a solo block and a block assist. Russo hit .545 and had four block assists.
- Adam Beitz (Brewerton, N.Y.) had a game high 48 assists in the match. He also had a service ace and five digs.
- Brian Malsan (Slingerlands, N.Y.) had a match high 11 digs. He now has 754 digs in his career and is flirting with the all-time record of 785. He needs to average just 2.2 digs per match to beat the record.
- St. Elizabeth was led on the attack by Justin Millan who had a team high nine kills.
- C.J. Coskulitz had eight kills in the match. He also had a team high nine digs.
The Wildcats will hit the road for a weekend tournament at NEAC rival Wells College. The Wildcats will not face off against the Express, but will play Daemen, Purchase, Lasell, and Misericordia. The Wildcats have never faced Daemen or Misericordia. They are 1-0 all-time against Purchase and 1-3 all-time against Lasell. The Wildcats will play at 4:00 and 8:00 PM on Saturday and will play at 12:00 and 5:00 PM on Sunday.