ALFRED, N.Y. – The SUNY Poly women's basketball earned their first win of 2019 on Monday in a 76-56 road win over Alfred State. The Wildcats took the lead in the second quarter and never looked back. Molly Burdick (Vestal, N.Y.) and Kiersten Leos (Camden, N.Y.) led the way for Poly, scoring 17 points each in the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
The Wildcats took the lead in the second quarter and didn't look back. The 'Cats kept their foot on the gas outscoring the Pioneers by seven points and eight points in the third and fourth quarter respectively. Kiersten Leos and Molly Burdick led the Wildcats with 17 points each. SUNY Poly shot 44% from the field hitting eight three-pointers. Alfred State shot 35% in the game.
- Molly Burdick recorded her first career double-double for the Wildcats. The freshman has flirted with double-double stat lines all season, recording eight or more rebounds and double digit points in seven of Poly's 12 games to date. Burdick also had a steal and two blocks in the game.
- Kiersten Leos knocked down a game high five three-pointers in the game. The five three pointers made are a season high for Leos. She finished with three rebounds, two assists, two steals, and a block.
- Alfred State's Jordyn Pettit led the Pioneers with 16 points. She shot 46% from the field and had 13 rebounds.
- Kelsey Shaulis and Rayanna Anderson had 13 and 12 points respectively for the Pioneers. Anderson knocked down a team high four three-pointers and had a game high six assists.
- Shannon Harrison (Holland Patent, N.Y.) tied her season high with 11 points in the game. She scored her points in 18 minutes off the bench and knocked down a season high three three-pointers.
- Taylor Aybar (Woodside, N.Y.), Samantha Dayter (Cohoes, N.Y.), and Jaida Washington (Elmira, N.Y.) each had eight points for the Wildcats.
The Wildcats will travel to North Eastern Athletic Conference rival Keuka College. The game is scheduled for a 6:00 PM tip-off on Wednesday, January 9th. The Wolves are the defending NEAC Champions.