MANCHESTER, VT. – The SUNY Poly women's soccer team opened up their season on Friday night with a 3-3 draw. The Wildcats and the Mountaineers of Southern Vermont battled it out for 110 minutes with neither team getting an edge over the other.
SUNY Poly took an early lead on an own goal in the 19th minute of the game. The Wildcats took the 1-0 lead to the locker room at half, but Southern Vermont would open the second half with a game tying goal from Ally McNamee. Nakeya Stedman (Sauquoit, N.Y.) broke the tie with her first goal of 2018 in the 67th minute on a long through ball from Adriana Marcolin (Saratoga Springs, N.Y.). Southern Vermont quickly answered with a pair of goals by Danielle Biggers in the 70th and 71st minute to take the 3-2 lead.
With their backs against the wall, the Wildcats looked to veteran leadership for a big play. In the 75th minute, senior Nakeya Stedman battled her way through a crowd of defenders to score the game tying goal , sending the game into extra time.
In overtime, both teams battled hard and had opportunities to score, but could not capitalize. The game ended after two overtime period.
- Nakeya Stedman scored two goals for the Wildcats bringing her career points total to 90 and her career goals total to 40.
- Alysia Thomas (Greenville, N.Y.) played 110 minutes in her first career start. She made a game high eight saves.
- Sophomore Adriana Marcolin had an assist in the game. It was the 11th of her career.
- Ally McNamee scored a goal for the Mountaineers on two shots.
- Danielle Biggers scored two goals in two minutes for Southern Vermont. She took four total shots.
The Wildcats next game will be on the road against Bryant & Stratton College. The game time is TBA. The two teams met last season with the Wildcats earning a 2-1 win.